System Administrator £23000 to £28000
This is a technical support role for positive people with Linux server and customer service experience in equal measure. We're looking for a problem solver who likes to help our solve server issues.
Bytemark are a 14-year old cloud hosting company based in York, UK. We're looking for positive people who like to build, maintain and support live internet services, and help our customers build their dreams.
This role is centred around customer service and server system administration. You'll give advice to our thousands of hosting customers, helping them to troubleshoot their servers, across a wide variety of Operating Systems (mostly Linux).
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- answer telephone and email queries;
- keep track of queries through a ticketing system
- provide technical advice on topics such as:
- web servers,
- database administration,
- email and
- be able to tell the difference between infrastructure and customer issues;
- be friendly and help your colleagues build their own knowledge;
- participate in our out-of-hours support rota, averaging 1 week in 6 (these weeks attract double your normal pay).
- Clarity, expressiveness and decisiveness in your writing
- Positive and empathetic phone manner
- Clear dedication to customer service
- Linux systems experience, whether trained or self-taught
- Working knowledge of rest of LAMP stack: Apache, PHP, MySQL
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, learn and teach within a team of mixed skill levels. ## Optional skills that might be useful
- Other OS knowledge: Windows or other UNIXes
- Database administration (particularly MySQL or PostgreSQL)
What type of company is Bytemark?
Bytemark is 30-person strong hosting company founded 14 years ago, now with nearly 3000 customers. Our mission is to build tools that developers will love, with a strong focus on the UK market. We have a deep appreciation for the Free Software movement, and we hope you might know our name from various Free Software sponsorships we've made over the years.
We're a medium-sized company who's small enough to understand each team member for their individual skills and enthusiasms.
We have large Product & Engineering teams who build out our product, and our Support team is focused on helping our thousands of customers use those products.
Our Customer Service Manager will work closely with you to establish your learning needs and ensure that you have the training and resources you need. We offer 5 days of paid conference attendance (including expenses) each year in order for you to further your professional development, as well as further training opportunities tailored to you.
We have an open company plan. Our HR Manager and your line manager will help you navigate this and spot new opportunities in the company as they arise.
Employment Terms & Benefits
This position is based at our York office (YO26 6BL). You will be expected to work there 37.5 hours per week, 9am to 5pm (with occasional flexibility as agreed with your line manager). You will also need to participate in an out-of-hours rota, usually after 8 weeks training.
- Standard holiday allowance: 25 days holiday + UK bank holidays.
- Extra holiday allowance: 1 day per full year of employment.
- Allowance for home broadband service.
- Bytemark-administered group personal Pension Scheme.
- Annual health cash plan covering optical, dental & other common treatments.
- Cash bonus in the event that the founders sell out of the business.
- 8 weeks maternity pay, 4 weeks paternity pay.
- 5 days per year allowance for attending conferences, including expenses.
- Reasonable policies around sickness, bereavement and the whole grind of being human.
Before you apply
Please understand these points before applying:
- You must already be eligible to work in the UK — unfortunately we cannot sponsor visas for this position.
- We will reference successful candidates by reaching out to nominated references and paying for a Basic Disclosure Scotland check.